Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Monk - Thelonious Sphere Monk


Round About Midnight - LIVE LINK to LISTEN
 
I went to work for a couple of weeks enamored of the thought that I was working for the Metropolitan Opera, albeit, in a very entry level supporting role. 
No complaints, I’m in!
But I was astounded at my lack of observation when I finally looked up and noticed that the street I walk to every day is called
Thelonious Sphere Monk Circle.  Turns out that the Jazz Man I most admire lived in this neighborhood for 45 years, first with his mother and later with his own family. 
It was here that he wrote, ‘Round Midnight, Straight No Chaser and Blue Monk.  This is mecca as far as I’m concerned when it comes to Jazz Piano.  I think of him whenever I hole up and practice with the hope that, well, with the hope that when I get out in public it’ll be worthy.
We lost him in 1981, but the beautiful thing is
He Lives On whenever his music is played. 


No comments:

Post a Comment